9 Tips For Building Industry Relationships
© 2020 Vinny Ribas
- Offer to give before you ask for anything. You may not think you have anything to offer someone influential, but you just might be surprised. You don’t know unless you ask.
- Connect with them in professional environments. That can range from LinkedIn to a music conference or anywhere in between. Cornering them in a restaurant is not wise. You only get one chance to make a good impression.
- Do your homework. Unless it’s a chance meeting, it’s always best to know something personal as well as professional about the person you’re meeting. That way you can speak intelligently and don’t embarrass yourself or the person you’re meeting.
- Get them to talk about themselves. This is where the personal homework comes in. Ask them about something they are proud of and listen intently. You will endear yourself to them very quickly.
- Recognize their accomplishments. This always makes the other person feel special, and we all love people who make us feel special.
- Take them for lunch or coffee (if possible). Or offer to meet them wherever they suggest. After the first meeting, taking it ‘out of the office’ helps to alleviate any tension and makes it easy to have a casual but candid conversation.
- Book another meeting. It’s very effective to book your next appointment together before the first one ends. That way you aren’t relying on emails or texts and you don’t get lost in the shuffle.
- End by offering to help again. Make it the last thing they remember. It will make them want to help you.
- Follow up promptly with a serious thank you. The timing is as critical as the gesture itself. Waiting too long makes you look lazy. Not doing it all can reverse any progress you might have made in building the relationship.